Happy Friday, the 13th!!! Personally I love Friday the 13th because normally that would mean a marathon of Friday the 13th movies. However, it seems that TV stations over the past years must have fallen for the superstitious day since it seems like they never play these movies anymore on the 13th. Myself, I am not superstitious. If something happens it is because it was meant to happen.
But everyone is different so if you are superstitious and fear Friday the 13th then you have " paraskevidekatriaphobia". Here are some superstitions for you to ponder on this Friday the 13th.
- It is said if 13 people dine together at one table that they will all die within a year.
- Don't name your children anything with 13 letters, for example, Charles Manson.
- Months with a Friday 13th always begin on Sunday
- There are 13 twists of the rope in a traditional hangman's noose and 13 steps leading up to the gallows.
- The thirteenth card in a Tarot deck is "Death" often pictured as the Grim Reaper (a skeleton, often in a hooded cape, carrying a scythe). It should be noted however, that the Death card is rarely if ever read as "death" but as transition, change or new beginnings.
- Don't walk under a ladder. One theory holds that this superstition arises from a Christian belief in the Holy Trinity: Since a ladder leaning against a wall forms a triangle, "breaking" that triangle was blasphemous.
- Open an umbrella in the house and bad luck will fall on you.
- Many buildings do not have a "13th" floor.
- Never pass a funeral procession on this day or you will die the next day.
- Cutting your nails today can bring you serious bad luck
- Friday the 13th is a bad day to consult an Astrologer.
- Spilling salt is said to be unlucky
- If a woman celebrates her birthday on Friday 13, she will get married and have a child in less than one year.
Happy Friday the 13th!